Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Wednesday Wrap-up - 8/9/17

I hope I'm not coming off as too conceited, but I met with my finisher group on Monday and the three other members loved Old School Evil!  There were some flaws, of course, that's to be expected with everything, but I got so many compliments on the story, the petting, the characters, the idea, that I was blushing through the whole thing.  Wow, I totally am coming off as conceited, aren't I?  Truth be told, I was told the book was good but it still needs a lot of work, mainly with the characters and their motivations and jumps in logic.  I meet with my other group tomorrow where they'll go over one of my newer chapters, one that comes with a big revelation for the main character, Manny.  Once I get that feedback, it's back into it for another few drafts.

I've been fighting this decision for a while now, but I think it's time to face facts - I need an editor.  I've told myself for a while now that instead of hiring someone to do a line edit, I can take care of it myself with a few out loud readings, but I don't think it will really cut it.  I had read somewhere about letting the computer do it with a text-to-speech program, but even that isn't foolproof.  With how much it costs to do it though, I need to wait for my tax return, so hopefully, I'll have it ready to publish by the middle of February.  Why?  Because it's my birthday on the 15th so it's an easy deadline to see.

Since the time to publish has been moved out so far, I've been rethinking my cover.  I was originally planning to do one that's 3D-modeled, with the implements of the main villains and their Legacies.  I've got two of them modeled already, but still need to do some refinement and, of course, texture mapping.  I changed my plans when I started thinking of publishing sooner - I have no idea how to do mapping in Blender and that would take a while to learn.  Instead, I would make a cover out of the title image; the blueprint background, the robotic designs, the typewriter text.  I'd need to redo some of the images to get them higher resolution, and I'd update the various images on the blog at the same time.  I mean look at the Wrap-Up image above, you can barely pick out any of the detail on HammerSlammer.  So I think I can use this as the cover of the first book, and maybe the 3D-model stuff can be the cover of the second book.

No comments:

Post a Comment